[gmx-users] Overriding atom type.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 4 20:20:28 CET 2019

On 12/4/19 1:18 PM, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
> greetings Dr. Justin
>
>   I used charmm gui Input generator for ligands. these are H2O2, NO and
> Urea. I got three files for each Charmm36.itp, ligand.itp and topol. top. I
> added charmm36.itp files for each ligand under subsequent section with my
> system.itp and added #include link for  ligand.itp files in my topol file.
> Everything is working fine if, I am simulating them one by one but when
> combined, system is showing overriding atom type error for common named
> residues.
CHARMM-GUI provides a force field file that contains only the parameters
you need for the system you have supplied it. In that way, it differs
from a normal force field that already has everything, even parameters
you may not need. Given this assumption that CHARMM-GUI makes, editing
topologies it provides can be difficult. Any redundant parameters have
to be removed if you're going to make changes to the set of files it
provides.

Or use the CHARMM36 port (which has the full force field) and augment it
with any new parameters that the CGenFF program (within CHARMM-GUI) came
up with.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall