[gmx-users] Center of mass motion removal

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 6 14:44:55 CET 2019

On 12/5/19 3:47 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a droplet containing two molecules types of A and B in water.
> Unfortunately, I forgot to use the comm-grps = AB flag in my mdp file of
> simulations so, the whole droplet just drifting around inside water. Now at
> this point, I wonder if there is a tool in gromacs to remove the center of
> mass motion of the whole trajectory?
>
> I have already applied the
> gmx trjconv -pbc mol
> Then
> gmx trjconv -pbc cluster -center yes
>
> However, as I knew, they can not stop the COM motion.

These are two different things. The removal of net COM motion during MD
is to correct for artifacts associated with the accumulation of kinetic
energy in translational degrees of freedom. In your case, however, you
should *not* be trying to remove COM motion from solute groups. If
everything is just in solution and you don't have any kind of
biphasic/interfacial system, your comm-grps should simply be set to
System. Separate groups are only needed for systems with different
phases that may have different diffusion behavior. If you have molecules
solvated in water, separately removing COM motion is actually artificial
and should not be done.

Removing net motion of a given group for visualization purposes can be
accomplished with trjconv, but this is not the same as correcting the
trajectory for the above phenomenon.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall