[gmx-users] Neutral arginine; Charmm

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Dec 10 13:55:26 CET 2019

On 12/10/19 4:26 AM, Sahil Lall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use neutral arginine for my work. Since the well
> documented issues of nearly equivalent tautomeric protonated states, it
> has not been implemented in the charmm forcefield. So, as suggested by
> the charmm developers, I used methyl-guanidinium and Arginine as a
> starting point and created a new neutral molecule [ ARN ] and made all
> the appropriate changes wherever required. However, pdb2gmx is not
> working as expected.
>
> Issue 1: No double bond seen between NE and CZ

This isn't an actual problem. Visualization software will render things
differently but these visualizations have no bearing on the topology.

As long as the CD-NE-CZ angle is set correctly, you should get the
proper geometry.

> Issue 2: HH12 missing with error Warning: Long Bond (66-68 = 4.12787 nm)

A missing H atom should not trigger a long bond warning; this usually
indicates a problem in the backbone but in any case means you have bad
coordinates. Look at atoms 66 and 68.

If you're missing an H that means you need to either rename the atoms in
the input coordinate file or write a suitable .hdb entry to have them
generated.

-Justin

> the following are the residue parameters borrowed from MGU1 and ported
> to make neutral arginine.
>
> [ ARN ]
> [ atoms ]
> N NH1 -0.470 0