[gmx-users] How to set restraints for Protein-ligand complex in free energy calculation?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 11 17:23:33 CET 2019

On 12/11/19 5:38 AM, Bratin Kumar Das wrote:
> Hi
>     You can use gmx genrestr option for restraining the ligand using same
> force constant. Define the position restrain in topology file. Please
> follow the protein-ligand tutorial of Dr. Lemkul

Absolute position restraints are not what are needed in absolute binding
free energy calculations. One needs to restrain the relative
orientation. This used to be accomplished with
[intermolecular_interactions] and specifications of bonds, angles, and
dihedrals (or their respective restraints), but it seems that recent
code changes render that approach nonfunctional. It worked in version
5.0 or 5.1, but it seems it does not any more.

-Justin

> On Tue 10 Dec, 2019, 11:39 PM Sadaf Rani, <sadafrani6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a protein having two ligands, for which I want to calculate absolute
>> free energy. Could you please suggest me how should I set restraints for
>> two ligands simultaneously?
>> I am trying to do it the first time, any help would really be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Sadaf
>> --
>>
>> * Please search the archive at