[gmx-users] acidic pH simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Dec 15 18:41:26 CET 2019

On 12/14/19 1:27 AM, Iman Katouzian wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I want to simulate the behavior of my protein at different pH conditions
> including *acidic and basic values*. Can somebody suggest what should I do
> to change the pH of my system?

You don't, at least, not in GROMACS. There are constant pH methods
available in other software like AMBER and CHARMM, but GROMACS cannot do
such simulations. The closest you can come is setting protonation states
of relevant residues to specify the dominant state of these residues at
a given pH value. But since you will not have free H3O+ or OH-, and you
cannot have dynamic protonation during your MD simulation, you cannot
say that your simulation was conducted at a given pH value. You can only
say that the protonation states were chosen to be representation of a
given pH value.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall