[gmx-users] Equilibrium state

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Dec 21 15:25:01 CET 2019

On 12/21/19 3:22 PM, Justin Lemkul wrote:

> On 12/21/19 12:49 PM, elham wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> How can we find out the equilibrium state is reached after 20ns NVT
>> simulation?
>> Do the potential energy plot confirm the equilibrium state? or other
>> analysis is required to prove the equilibrium state?
>
> Potential energy does not tell you this, but you can demonstrate that
> the proper thermodynamic ensemble has been reached by analyzing the
> temperature/kinetic energy and associated distribution to ensure that
> it matches a canonical ensemble.

I should also add - the above refers to equilibrium of the statistical
mechanical ensemble, but if you want to establish
convergence/equilibrium of sampling, then you have to analyze all
relevant structural, dynamical, and thermodynamical properties of
interest within your system. For example, 20 ns is certainly more than
enough to reach equilibrium with respect to temperature (by orders of
magnitude) but is probably about 100x too short to establish equilibrium
sampling of an intrinsically disordered protein.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.