[gmx-users] conveniently placing restraints on a subset of a molecule

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 30 14:32:37 CET 2019

On 12/28/19 12:41 PM, Miro Astore wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to the gromacs work flow, I come from using NAMD.
>
> An example of what I want to do is place harmonic restraints on a subset of
> a molecule, for example all of the CA atoms in a protein backbone. I have
> found the genrestr function which I would have expected would do the trick.
>
> However, as stated in the documentation the indexes won't reflect those
> within the molecule. I'm wondering if there is a simple way to do what I
> want using the gromacs work flow that doesn't include manually editing the
> itp files.

Restraints are a topology construct and are therefore only valid from
1..N for a given molecule of N atoms. Global atom indices are indeed
invalid. genrestr will produce a correct restraint topology for the
first molecule in a coordinate file (e.g. starting from atom number 1),
but you can supply the program any coordinate file that is numbered from
1. If you have multiple proteins, extract the coordinates of the protein
of interest, renumber it with editconf, and supply that file to genrestr.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.