[gmx-users] info about gpus

Moir, Michael (MMoir) MMoir at chevron.com
Fri Feb 1 03:30:00 CET 2019

Stephano,

With a motherboard that doesn't split the PCI-E bandwidth, I get a 20% improvement in computation speed with 2 GPUs.  Whether or not you think this is worth the extra $, I leave that up to you!  My system is:  i9-9900K, ASUS WS Z390 Pro motherboard, 2x 1070ti GPUs, 32 MB 3200 MHz RAM.  With my modest system of about 100,000 atoms, I go from 30 ns/day with 1 GPU, to 36 ns/day with 2 GPUs.  -ntmpi 4 -npme 1 -pme gpu -nb gpu, all other combinations of -ntmpi give inferior results with 2 GPUs compared to 1 GPU.  I am using Gromacs-2019.  It is also important to use the fastest memory you want to afford.  The amount of memory is not important but the speed is.

Mike