[gmx-users] gmx trjconv -center not working?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Feb 8 12:55:59 CET 2019

On 2/8/19 6:52 AM, Mala L Radhakrishnan wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for this idea --
>
> ...But it returns what I would expect:
>
> Statistics over 1 steps [ 200000.0000 through 200000.0000 ps ], 3 data sets
> All statistics are over 1 points
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Box-X                       12.2482         --          0          0  (nm)
> Box-Y                       12.2482         --          0          0  (nm)
> Box-Z                       12.2482         --          0          0  (nm)
>
> This matches what the pdb extracted file says (i.e. the file which does not
> have the complex centered at the Box-X/2, Box-Y/x, Box-Z/2)
> So I'm still not sure what's going on -- any other thoughts?

 From your trjconv command, it looks like you are somewhat inefficiently
trying to simply output the final frame, is that correct?

I have found quirky behavior in trjconv when trying to do multiple
actions (you're centering and manipulating PBC at the same time) while
also skipping many frames. Here's what I would suggest:

gmx trjconv -s md.tpr -f md.xtc -pbc mol -o md_mol.xtc
gmx trjconv -s md.tpr -f md_mol.xtc -center -o md_center.xtc -n index.ndx
gmx trjconv -s md.tpr -f md_center.xtc -dump 200000

Does that improve the situation? If not, please send a minimal test case
to me off-list and I will take a look.

-Justin