[gmx-users] Probability of number of atomic contacts

Mahsa ebadi.mahsa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 14:37:26 CET 2019

Thank you very much, Justin!

I tried this command:

gmx_seq analyze -f numcont.xvg -dist num_dist.xvg

and I got a histogram. Now the number of contacts between the ion and the
polymer is between 160-180. I just want to be sure if I am doing this
analysis correct. When I use gmx mindist, from the index file I choose a
group of the ion (including 46 ions) and then the polymer group (all
polymer chains in the box).  I think maybe instead of choosing all ions, I
should only select one of them and get the number of contact with the
polymers but then since I have 46 of this ion in the simulation box, can it
be a good representative of the whole system? If not, what else can I do in
this case?

Besides, it is mentioned in the Gromacs manual, that if we use the
-group option
a contact of an atom in another group with multiple atoms in the first
group is counted as one contact instead of as multiple contacts. I want to
count all contact with a polymer chain as 1 contact and check the number of
contacts with different polymer chains so by using -group and having the
ion as the first group and polymer as the second group from the index file,
can I get this?

The last question, can I do the same approach to get the distribution of
coordination number for the first coordination shell of ions and special
atoms of the polymers?

Best regards,
Mahsa