[gmx-users] Bond breakage modelling

Peter Kroon p.c.kroon at rug.nl
Tue Feb 19 12:04:54 CET 2019

Hi Ali,

The short answer is "not really". You could model your bonds as
non-bonded (morse) potentials, but then you lose all angle dependence on
the potential energy, since the non-bonded potentials must be pair-wise.
Depending on the exact problem this may be acceptable though. The angle
dependence on the potential energy also immediately points out an issue
with your cut-off based approach: how will you deal with the angle(s)?

In literature I have seen some papers of people pulling proteins apart,
breaking cystein bridges. Those may contain some insight/ideas.

Peter