[gmx-users] Bond breakage modelling

Paul Bauer paul.bauer.q at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 13:43:30 CET 2019

Hello,

in general I would advise not to use a classical force field to model a
quantum mechanical effect like breaking a bond.
Classical force fields are not parametrized to reproduce those effects,
and while you might get something that looks fine with the morse
potential it would definitely be unphysical.
If you want to study quantum effects, use a QM method for the parts that
are involved in bond breaking, or use a reactive force field like ReaxFF.

Cheers

Paul