[gmx-users] Fwd: Probability of number of atomic contacts

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 28 19:17:26 CET 2019

On 2/28/19 8:59 AM, Mahsa wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Could you please comment on my questions in the previous post?
>
> Best regards,
> Mahsa

I don't see any point in doing per-ion analysis. You already have the
answer you want with respect to contacts between the two species.
Choosing one ion isn't necessarily going to be representative, either.

> Besides, it is mentioned in the Gromacs manual, that if we use the
> -group option
> a contact of an atom in another group with multiple atoms in the first
> group is counted as one contact instead of as multiple contacts. I want to
> count all contact with a polymer chain as 1 contact and check the number of
> contacts with different polymer chains so by using -group and having the
> ion as the first group and polymer as the second group from the index file,
> can I get this?

This option is primarily used to avoid over-counting, e.g. the
interaction between an ion and carboxylate oxygens will not be counted
as two contact if each ion-oxygen distance satisfies the criterion; it's
just one.

> The last question, can I do the same approach to get the distribution of
> coordination number for the first coordination shell of ions and special
> atoms of the polymers?

You can calculate coordination number by integrating an RDF.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.