[gmx-users] Install on Windows 10 with AMD GPU

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 14:42:58 CEST 2019

Dear James,

Unfortunately, we have very little experience with OpenCL on Windows, so I
am afraid I can not advise you on specifics. However, note that the only
part of the former SDK that is needed is the OpenCL headers and loader
libraries (libOpenCL) which is open source software that can be obtained
from the standards body, KHronos. Not sure what the mechanism is for
Windows, but for Linux these components are in packaged in the standard
repositories of most distributions.

However, before going through a large effort of trying to get GROMACS
running on Windows + AMD + OpenCL, you might want to consider evaluating
the potential benefits of the hardware. As these cards are quite dated you
might find that they do not provide enough performance benefit to warrant
the effort required -- especially as, if you have a workstation with
significant CPU resources, you might find that GROMACS runs nearly as fast
or faster on the CPU only (that's because we have very efficient CPU SIMD
code for all compute-intensive work).

To do a hopefully easier quick performance evaluation, you could simply
boot a Linux distribution off of an external disk, you can find Linux
drivers for them for Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 at least which you can install and
see how well does the system perform.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
--