[gmx-users] convergence of bilayer simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jul 13 19:50:37 CEST 2019

On 7/12/19 1:54 PM, Prasanth G, Research Scholar wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you for your inputs.
> After using GridmatMD. I obtained the following results -
> Area per lipid is 62.696275 ±  0.545 Angstrom (square)
> Average thickness of the upper and lower membranes is 3.66 ± 0.28 Angstrom
> (square)

The unit is nm. Distances are not squared.

> I am also attaching the graphs for lateral displacement of lipids and
> density of the lipid along with this mail.
> I hope this is sufficient to say that the membrane is equilibrated.

Your diffusion profile only goes to 15 ns. That's at least an order of
magnitude shorter than any lipid simulation that one could claim is
converged. Like any simulation, to claim convergence, you need to prove
that relevant quantities are invariant (statistically) over time.

-Justin

> Thank you.
>
>   lateral_diffusion.png
> <https://drive.google.com/a/sssihl.edu.in/file/d/1ksjv_VSiS4AtEMF8yyRKJl1lPDDjrPBP/view?usp=drive_web>