[gmx-users] How to install gromacs on cpu cluster

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Sun Jun 30 17:00:16 CEST 2019

Hi Yeping,

The basic steps are the same as in the documentation. The steps below
should get GROMACS running on a linux computer where Cmake can be
installed. You may need to change $HOME to an absolute path and give the
exact location of the C and C++ compilers you will use to compile
GROMACS. You need not use the same C and C++ compilers to compile CMake,
though recent versions of Cmake also need a recent compiler. It may be
the case that you will need to update your path variable to make your
installation of GCC get picked up as the first compiler that is tried.
Typical linux systems (but not all) should have most prerequisites for
CMake:

wget
https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/releases/download/v3.15.0-rc3/cmake-3.15.0-rc3.tar.gz
tar -xvf cmake-3.15.0-rc3.tar.gz
mkdir cmake-3.15.0-rc3-build
cd cmake-3.15.0-rc3-build/
  ../cmake-3.15.0-rc3/bootstrap
--prefix=$HOME/InstallGromacs/cmake-3.15.0-rc3-install
gmake
make install
cd ..
wget ftp://ftp.gromacs.org/pub/gromacs/gromacs-2019.3.tar.gz
tar -xvf gromacs-2019.3.tar.gz
cd gromacs-2019.3/
mkdir build
cd build/
$HOME/InstallGromacs/cmake-3.15.0-rc3-install/bin/cmake ..
-DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON -DREGRESSIONTEST_DOWNLOAD=ON
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/InstallGromacs/gromacs-2019.3-install/
-DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/bin/c++ -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/bin/gcc
make
make check
make install