[gmx-users] Itp for a longer molecule out of a shorter one

Alex alexanderwien2k at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 01:36:48 CET 2019

Thanks Paul,

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 5:00 PM <pbuscemi at q.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Having the itp for the shorter molecule you have most of what you need. Use
> x2top to create the top file for the longer molecule. Adjust, if necessary,
> the atomname2type.n2t file  in the ff  file to create any necessary atom
> types being sure to select the proper ff.  Charges, bond lengths can be
> taken from the existing pdb and itp when needed.  Use Avogadro for a quick
> reference to model parameters.  I've made various models of Pebax , nylon
> 100k's MW using this method.

I am using gromos54a7 and there is no "atomname2type.n2t" in the gromos54a7
directory which causes crashing the gmx x2top.

> Also ATB can get the itp for polymers up to 600 atoms if you use
> gromos54a7

ff.

Indeed I got the gromos54a7 FF for the shorter molecule (< 50 atoms) from
ATB, however for larger system (> 50 atoms) the ATB just gives a
semi-empirical parameterized FF which basically is just a TOP file template
for large molecules.
Best regards,
Alex