[gmx-users] gmx trjconv trr xtc

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:47:00 CET 2019

Hi,

XTC is a reduced-precision format for coordinates. This is fine for most
use cases, because the difference between 2.012 nm and 2.013nm is dwarfed
by the other modelling approximations (fixed point charges! short
sampling!). It gives you the advantage of using less disk and spending less
time handling files. Further, it leverages the knowledge that in e.g. a
water molecule, the three atoms are not in arbitrary locations, but can be
stored efficiently as a position and two deltas. See
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/current/reference-manual/file-formats.html#xtc

Mark