[gmx-users] same initial velocities vs. -reprod

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Fri Mar 22 21:29:17 CET 2019

Hi,

Yes, finite precision and order of computations may not be respected by
the compiler. In most cases, they should be close, however much
analytical work remains in this area. A  relevant paper (though there
are many others) is:

Collange, Defour, Grailaat and Iakymchuk

Numerical Reproducibility for the Parallel Reduction on Multi- and
Many-Core Architectures

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00949355v4/document

It is unclear if it would be too expensive to implement such methods in
GROMACs though.

Benson