[gmx-users] Energy Conservation at the Beginning of a Production Run

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 29 14:00:32 CET 2019

On 3/29/19 4:30 AM, Mark Abraham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Off topic for this discussion, but what would people think if we changed
> things around so that grompp would do that constraining, before writing the
> tpr file?
>
> This will mean that the configuration in the tpr does not always match the
> configuration that was given to grompp, but instead matches the rest of the
> simulation. Thus such an energy jump would not occur. And it may mean that
> broken structures are found at grompp time rather than later at step 0 when
> doing mdrun on the cluster.

I would think any problems that might arise would be minimal, such that
the user can easily recover the original geometry by turning constraints
off and generating a new .tpr file. This could also be a very good
opportunity to notify the user if they are perhaps unwittingly
introducing a discontinuity between unconstrained and constrained
processes, e.g. if the constraint RMSD is larger than some (small)
threshold, we can print a note to alert the user about potential
discontinuities.

-Justin