[gmx-users] Failed tests, need help in troubleshooting

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed May 1 13:36:51 CEST 2019

Hi Cameron,

My strong suspicion is that the NVIDIA OpenCL driver/compiler simply does
not support or is buggy on Turing. I've just checked and an OpenCL build
with the latest 418 drivers and it also fails tests on Volta (which is
similar to the Turing architecture), but it passes on Pascal.

You could verify this by running make check such that only the second
Quadro GPU is utilized, e.g.
$ CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=1 make check

Additionally note that performance with OpenCL on NVIDIA is in general
significantly lower than with CUDA both because NVIDIA's OpenCL support is
rather poor and also some features are not yet fully functional on NVIDIA
OpenCL (that do work on AMD). Hence, if performance matters, e.g.
GPU-accelerated production runs, CUDA is admittedly the better option.

--
Szilárd