[gmx-users] Parrinello-Rahman vs. Nose-Hoover

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Wed May 29 05:29:14 CEST 2019

Different simulators use different thermostats and barostats, and given
that molecular simulations are a lot like grandma's cooking, there is no
truly clear answer to your question. However, I do have a few
suggestions. If you want to recreate exactly what your colleague did,
use LAMMPS -- its a neat software package. What barostats and
thermostats to use, and it what combination, should not come from a
colleague, but is supposed to be a judicious choice, based on a
reasonable understanding of the math behind these methods.

Side note: In my opinion, Gromacs did everyone a huge favor not
implementing the pure piston-type Nose-Hoover barostat. If it were up to
me, given how much insane oscillatory garbage these algorithms (in
combination with users who treat simulation software as a black box)
produce in the literature, I would remove Nose-Hoover style control
algorithms permanently from all simulators forever -- except for maybe
incredibly well-behaved pre-relaxed ensembles larger than 100K atoms.

Alex