[gmx-users] Parrinello-Rahman vs. Nose-Hoover

Anh Vo atv55 at msstate.edu
Wed May 29 05:09:08 CEST 2019

Hi,

Previously, as my colleague performed the same simulation with me (POPC
bilayer membrane under equibiaxial tension) in LAMMPS, he could use
Nose-Hoover for both temperature and pressure coupling. But in GROMACS when
I tried to re-do what he has done, I could not use Nose-Hoover for pressure
coupling. GROMACS just allows me to choose among Berendsen,
Parrinello-Rahman, Isotropic or MTTK options. And in the manual it is said
that "In most cases Parrinello-Rahman barostat would be combined with the
Nose-Hoover thermostat as the most practical choice". Hence, I don't know
why that is the most practical choice?
And *why is Nose-Hoover not used for pressure coupling in GROMACS as it is
used in LAMMPS?*

Thank you a lot.

Best,
Anh Vo