[gmx-users] eelctric field

Christian Blau blau at kth.se
Wed Nov 13 15:10:23 CET 2019

Hello Amin,

When you apply an electric field during the simulation by setting the mdp parameters like E-x =... as you describe,
nothing more happens than that each atom experiences an additional force that is "atom charge * field strength". The
energy terms or virial (that then would relate to pressure coupling) are not influenced by this. If these terms differ
between a simulation with electric field and one without, then only because the system as a whole responds to the
applied electric field.

gmx potential on the other hand is an analysis tool that is per se unrelated on how you chose to apply an electric field
during your simulation or not. However, when applying an electric field, you would expect a different result from an
analysis with gmx potential than without electric field, because your system will respond to the applied electric field.

Best,

Christian