[gmx-users] defining parameters in a separate itp file

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 14 15:02:29 CET 2019

On 11/12/19 6:30 PM, Dave M wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I am having troubles now with domain decompositions when I use openMPI
> mpirun but it works fine when I run on single mpi. My system is quite large
> (80x80x80) and I defined additional bonds in top file as:
>

> [ intermolecular_interactions ]
>
> [ bonds ]
>
> ; ai aj type
>
> 3123   40767   6   4.0047  1000
>
> 812    41625   6   3.7768  1000
>
> 1560   42483   6   3.7569  1000
>
> 2378   43341   6   4.0945  1000
>

> I get error like this:
>

> Not all bonded interactions have been properly assigned to the domain
> decomposition cells
>
> A list of missing interactions:
>
>         Harmonic Pot. of      8 missing      6
>
>            exclusions of     -4 missing     -4
>

> I saw an old mail thread where Mark suggests to use
> [intermolecular_interactions]. Am already doing it but I still get errors
> (link:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/gromacs.org_gmx-users@maillist.sys.kth.se/msg37888.html
>   )
>

> I use this:
>
> mpirun -np 4 gmx_mpi mdrun  -deffnm 03-run -rdd 2 -ntomp 16
>

> With np = 1 it works fine.
>

> Would it be possible to overcome this? On single MPI it will take many
> months to get the job done.

Everything you've posted seems to suggest that the way
[intermolecular_interactions] are designed to function no longer work
properly. A bug report/feature request may be appropriate via Redmine.

In the meantime, it looks like your only option is to use the pull code,
which does play nicely with domain decomposition.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.