[gmx-users] droplet

Christian Blau blau at kth.se
Tue Nov 19 12:43:55 CET 2019

Hi Alex,

I'm not sure this is really something for the GROMACS mailing list and I'm guessing the question you were asking - What
is the expected behaviour of the solvent accessible surface area of a droplet with temperature?

Here is a "back-of-the envelope" estimate: The easiest model of a droplet is an effective harmonic potential that keeps
together a bunch of molecules at the center of the coordinate system. A molecule at x has then the effective potential
energy (chemical potential) E(x) = k * x^2, yielding a Boltzmann distribution of particle positions at a given
temperature proportional to exp(-(kx^2)/(k_b T)). The droplet boundary is an iso-contour of this distribution -
proportional to 1/T - the surface area is thus proportional to (1/T)^2. In an equilibrium situation you would expect
your droplet SASA to go with T^(-2). Because quenching includes non-equilibrium effects, you might observe an exponent > -2.

Best,

Christian