[gmx-users] How to Calculate tetrahedral order parameter

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Sep 3 14:35:38 CEST 2019

Den 2019-09-03 kl. 14:02, skrev Soham Sarkar:
> Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have two systems. One consists of
> protein-water and the other one consists of protein-water-urea. I need to
> calculate the tetrahedral order parameter of water around the protein
> within 0.4nm for these two systems.
Sounds like a very difficult problem. I assume you want to evaluate
whether the structure is more ordered close to the protein than in bulk.
In theory you could find all the water molecules with a radius X from
the protein, using gmx trjorder and then generate an index that you pass
to gmx hydorder. However if you use a shell of 0.4 nm there will not be
enough water to test this, and in addition the water interacting with
the protein will not be counted by the program.

The most important question you should ask your self is whether you want
to get out something that can be measured, in that case you would be
better off computing free energies.