[gmx-users] The problem of utilizing multiple GPU

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 13:10:53 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 12:54, sunyeping <sunyeping at aliyun.com> wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>
> I am trying to do simulation with a workstation with 72 core and 8 geforce
> 1080 GPUs.

72 cores, or just 36 cores each with two hyperthreads? (it matters because
you might not want to share cores between simulations, which is what you'd
get if you just assigned 9 hyperthreads per GPU and 1 GPU per simulation).

> When I do not assign a certain GPU with the command:
>       gmx mdrun -v -deffnm md
> all GPUs are used and but the utilization of each GPU is extremely low
> (only 1-2 %), and the simulation will be finished after several months.

Yep. Too many workers for not enough work means everyone spends time more
time coordinating than working. This is likely to improve in GROMACS 2020
(beta out shortly).

In contrast, when I assign the simulation task to only one GPU:
> gmx mdrun -v -gpu_id 0 -deffnm md
> the GPU utilization can reach 60-70%, and the simulation can be finished
> within a week. Even when I use only two GPU:

Utilization is only a proxy - what you actually want to measure is the rate
of simulation ie. ns/day.

 gmx mdrun -v -gpu_id 0,2 -deffnm md

> the GPU utilizations are very low and the simulation is very slow.

That could be for a variety of reasons, which you could diagnose by looking
at the performance report at the end of the log file, and comparing
different runs.

> I think I may missuse the GPU for gromacs simulation. Could you tell me
> what is the correct way to use multiple GPUs?

If you're happy running multiple simulations, then the easiest thing to do
is to use the existing multi-simulation support to do

mpirun -np 8 gmx_mpi -multidir dir0 dir1 dir2 ... dir7

and let mdrun handle the details. Otherwise you have to get involved in
assigning a subset of the CPU cores and GPUs to each job that both runs
fast and does not conflict. See the documentation for GROMACS for the
version you're running e.g.
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/current/user-guide/mdrun-performance.html#running-mdrun-within-a-single-node
.

You probably want to check out this webinar tomorrow
https://bioexcel.eu/webinar-more-bang-for-your-buck-improved-use-of-gpu-nodes-for-gromacs-2018-2019-09-05/
.

Mark