[gmx-users] RAM usage of gmx msd

Martin martin.kern at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Sep 20 19:59:09 CEST 2019

Hi,

thanks a lot for your answer. It contained exactly the information that
I needed.
Here is a summary of my issue and how I resolved it:

Problem:

I wanted to calculate lateral diffusion of lipids in a cell membrane
using a key atom for each lipid. But gmx msd needs too much RAM.

Solution:

I first created a smaller trajectory file using:
gmx trjconv -f mdrun.xtc -n key_atoms.ndx -o key_atoms.xtc
Then I adjusted the tpm file:
gmx convert-tpr -s mdrun.tpr -n key.ndx -o key_atoms.tpr
I have now limited the trajectory to only the atoms that I actually need.
But now the original index file no longer fits.
So I created a new one using:
gmx make_ndx -f key_atoms.tpr -o key_atoms.ndx

Once that was done I was able to calculate gmx msd with barely any RAM
usage at all.

Thanks again for all your support.
Best regards
Martin Kern