[gmx-users] GROMACS Domain decomposition

NguyenDuyVy nguyenduyvy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 09:32:10 CEST 2019

Dear gmx-users,

Would you mind giving me some instruction on this.

I am learning Gromacs tutorial #1 of mdtutotials.com. However to the 5th
step: EM,  http://www.mdtutorials.com/gmx/lysozyme/05_EM.html
I got the error:
"Domain decomposition does not support simple neighbor searching, use grid
searching or run with one MPI rank"

Running on 1 thread of PC by changing from
gmx mdrun -v -deffnm em
gmx mdrun -nt 1 -s -v -deffnm em
gives no problem but it's too slow, (50k steps, 2seconds/1step)

Thank you very much for your kind helps,
Best regards,

The full log is as follows
GROMACS:      gmx mdrun, VERSION 5.1.1
Executable:   /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx
Data prefix:  /usr/local/gromacs
Command line:
  gmx mdrun -s -deffnm em

Back Off! I just backed up em.log to ./#em.log.33#

Running on 1 node with total 12 cores, 24 logical cores
Hardware detected:
  CPU info:
    Vendor: GenuineIntel
    Brand:  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5650  @ 2.67GHz
    SIMD instructions most likely to fit this hardware: SSE4.1
    SIMD instructions selected at GROMACS compile time: SSE4.1

Reading file em.tpr, VERSION 5.1.1 (single precision)
Program gmx mdrun, VERSION 5.1.1
Source code file:
/home/nguyenduyvy/Downloads/gromacs-5.1.1/src/gromacs/domdec/domdec.cpp,
line: 6542

Fatal error: