[gmx-users] Scale Triclinic Box

Maryam Sadeghi maryam.sadeghi.90 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 23:04:56 CEST 2020

Hi Justin,
I actually want to scale the box (both moving the chains apart and close to
each other by changing the a and b parameters of the cell). I don't want to
run any dynamics at this point as I have already done quantum mechanics
minimization on this structure. When I use the editconf command the cell
parameters change but the coordinates of the atoms remain unchanged, i.e.
by compression the polymer chains remain outside of the cell... I was
wondering if editconf could scale the coordinates proportionally with the
cell parameters without distorting the bonds lengths?

gmx editconf -f CONTCAR.pdb -o scl0.2.pdb -bt triclinic -box 0.3560 0.5686
1.9724 -angles 90.00 126.91 90.00

The original cell parameters are:
a: 0.79620 nm, b: 1.27140 nm, c: 1.9724 nm, alpha: 90.00, beta: 126.91,
gamma: 90.00

The unit cell consists of 4 polymer chains, each chain having 7 repeating
(C-O-C) units. The system has 3 atom types (C, H, O), 196 atoms, 192 bonds,
340 angles and 376 dihedrals.

Best
Maryam