[gmx-users] Bonds definition in itp files

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 6 14:42:11 CEST 2020

On 4/6/20 7:24 AM, Sina Omrani wrote:
> Hi,
> I wanted to know how we specify a bond order in our simulation? For
> example, if we have a triple bond in our structure between atoms 1 and 2,
> is it by length and force constants or we define 1 and 2 bonds three times
> in the bond section of itp file?
> What if we use a constraint on this bond? because I get better results when
> I define the bond three times but haven't seen this method. is it wrong?

All interactions should be defined only once, and the parameters used
should produce correct behavior. MM force fields have no concept of
double or triple bonds; they only know the stiffness of the spring
connecting the atoms. My guess is that if you had to add the bond three
times, the force field parameters are adding together, indicating that
the force constant is unsuitable for what you're trying to and needs to
be refined.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall