[gmx-users] Can't observe ion separation under the influence of electric field

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Feb 13 07:42:57 CET 2020

Den 2020-02-12 kl. 23:07, skrev Live King:
> Dear all,
>
> I am running a simple test case with a lipid bilayer (DMPC), water, and
> ions (150mM KCL) under the influence of a constant electric field ( 300mV,
> 500mV, and 700mV). *I expected positive and negative ions to separate in
> the presence of an external electric field*. However, I am not observing
> such behavior despite running the all-atom simulation for 400ns in any
> case. I am using gromacs 2018.2, my mdp file is standard charmm-gui
> production with electric field option.
>
> for example 500mV electric field in Z-direction :
> electric-field-z =      0.060  0     0     0 ; *500**mv  = 8.25nm* 0.060 =
> 500 mV *
>

> Are there any settings to run the electric field simulation that I miss?
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Did you make density plots to check?

Do you get an output field.xvg that prints the field strength? It may be
optional though.

The force on the atoms will be quite small still compared to interatomic
forces therefore the effect may be limited. F = q E (convert to right
units). In GROMACS MD units a typical interatomic force is ~ 1000
kJ/mol/nm^2.

> Thank you,

Head of Department, Cell & Molecular Biology, Uppsala University.
Box 596, SE-75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone: +46184714205.
http://www.icm.uu.se