[gmx-users] Is Gromos force fields not recommended?

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 18 09:19:09 CET 2020

If the GROMOS force-field would clearly not be compatible with GROMACS, we would have removed it from the GROMACS distribution.
There are two issues here, which both stem from the fact that the GROMOS force-field has been parametrized with a simulation setup that, for good reasons, can not be reproduced in GROMACS. One is that certain properties, such a densities of liquids can be off by a small amount. The other is that certain people in the GROMOS community have claimed that the GROMOS force-field is used incorrectly in GROMACS. Note that other people in GROMOS community seem to think differently. I do not want to go into that discussion here. But to avoid users blaming GROMACS, we have added a warning in grompp.

/Berk