[gmx-users] Bug or Feature? Energy Minimization + Restraints + Polarization Possible Issue?

Jones De Andrade jdandrade at iq.ufrgs.br
Thu Mar 5 03:15:59 CET 2020

Hi all.

We are trying something a bit really "off" on gromacs here and now: we
want to calculate the optimum position (energetic minimum) for Drude
Shell particles in a molecule (with longer that 1-4 intramolecular
interactions) given conformation.

As such, we succeeded on modifying the force field to both place
restraints on the atoms positions (easy) and adding the Drude Shell
particles (somewhat more difficult). Basically, gmx grompp accepted the
topology.

Then, we modified the .gro file to add the Drude Shell particles at
random positions around the atoms. Again, seems that there are no
issues.

The next step was to minimize the energy, and as such we tried to use
the .mdp options steep and cg. Here is where things got strange: for
some reason, no matter the polarizability value chosen, whenever the
*atoms* position restraints (we did *not* explicitly placed any
restraints on any shell) are activated, the shells are also affected and
do not seem to move. We used several different values for polarizability
and for the random shell positions, with the same effect.

That is a feature, the way gromacs minimization is intended to act
under use of restraints in polarizable molecules, or not? Is there any
way around this "issue"? We will really need highly (l-BFGS "level"
preferably) optimized shell positions for this work, and we really did
not expect this specific "roadblock". :)

Btw: we are using gromacs version 2018.4 just because it "was already
available". If it is a known bug, we will happily upgrade asap.

Any suggestion will be really helpful.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Best Regards.

--