[gmx-users] potential energy doesn't have negative value

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Mar 15 07:11:36 CET 2020

Den 2020-03-15 kl. 00:59, skrev Justin Lemkul:

> On 3/14/20 7:15 PM, Afsane Farhadi wrote:
>> I generate a box of 100 molecules of methyldiethanolamine with
>> insert-molecules command .I downloaded its itp file from ATB server. I
>> think that forcefield is gromos . after an energy minimization the
>> potential energy is positive.  the mdp file is attached.
>
> The mailing list does not accept attachments.
>
> ATB does produce GROMOS-compatible force fields, but it is always up to
> the user to determine if the parameters are suitable. A positive
> potential energy means that the intermolecular interactions are weak
> compared to the intramolecular (bonded) interactions. You can use gmx
> energy or look in the .log file to see the various contributions to the
> total potential energy.
>
> -Justin

The baseline oof the potential energy is not a meaningful number in
classical force fields. You have to subtract 100 times the energy of the
monomer, then you will have the enthalpy of vaporization (+/- kT) which
you can compare to experiment.

Head of Department, Cell & Molecular Biology, Uppsala University.
Box 596, SE-75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone: +46184714205.
http://www.icm.uu.se