[gmx-users] NDG/BGLC Not Recognised In Force Fields

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 18 13:01:51 CET 2020

On 3/18/20 7:56 AM, McDonnell, Thomas wrote:
> Hey
>

> Apologies for not being clearer, the NDG is from the crystal structure, the post CHARMM-GUI now outputs that residue as BGLC, however, this is also not recognised when I run gmx2pdb.
>

> I have up to step 5 of the CHARMM-GUI, is there a way of inputting this to Gromacs without going through the GMX gmx2pdb process?

Doesn't CHARMM-GUI give you a GROMACS topology?

BGLC is a valid residue in CHARMM so without the actual screen output
and error message, there's not much to suggest. The main problem is one
intrinsic to pdb2gmx - it's not good at branched polymers. You'll have
what it thinks is a discontinuous chain of protein and sugar residues,
which you might be able to link/patch via specbond.dat but that requires
a lot of work. It's very easy to set up in CHARMM (which is all
CHARMM-GUI is doing on the backend).

-Justin

> Thanks
>

> Thomas.
>

> On 3/17/20 12:57 PM, McDonnell, Thomas wrote:
>
>> Hey
>> I am trying to do some MD of a glycoprotein, I've inputted the glycans through Charm-GUI online, but when I try to run simulations using any of the amber or charm forcefields, it throws up the error does not recognise NDG. My glycan pattern is:
>> N-Acetylglucosamine, N-Acetylglucosamine, Mannose (branch) (Mannose, N Acetylglucosamine, Galactose ) x2
>> How do I modify the input files to overcome this, or is there a different forcefield I should be using?
>

> What is NDG? There is no such residue or patch in the CHARMM force field
>
> so I don't know why CHARMM-GUI produced any file with such a residue name.
>

> -Justin

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall