[gmx-users] Parrinello-Rahman and Pairtype1 causing pressure instabilities

Wesley Michaels wes.p.michaels at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 01:32:41 CET 2020

Hey y'all,

Ran some additional simulations and, unfortunately, I'm still experiencing
problems. Here's the mdp file that I used:

integrator              =  md
nsteps                  =  20000000 ; 20 ns
dt                      =  0.001000
nstlist                 =  20
ns_type                 =  grid

nstxout                 =  25000
nstvout                 =  25000
nstenergy               =  25000
nstlog                  =  25000

continuation            =  yes
constraints             =  none
lincs_iter              =  1
lincs_order             =  4
cutoff-scheme           =  Verlet

rcoulomb                =  1.4
rvdw                    =  1.4
coulombtype             =  PME
vdwtype                 =  PME
pme_order               =  4
fourierspacing          =  0.12

tcoupl                  =  Nose-Hoover
tc-grps                 =  System
tau_t                   =  0.100000
ref_t                   =  300.000000
nsttcouple              =  5

pcoupl                  =  Parrinello-Rahman
pcoupltype              =  isotropic
tau_p                   =  1.000000
ref_p                   =  1.000000
compressibility         =  0.000045

refcoord_scaling        =  com
pbc                     =  xyz
periodic-molecules      =  no
DispCorr                =  EnerPres
gen_vel                 =  no

The simulation ran for 40ns with the Berendsen barostat just fine - density
and volume were well-equilibrated within 1ns of the simulation starting.
Unstable density fluctuations began immediately after switching to the PR
barostat (from the output configuration of the previous 40ns run) and the
simulation failed within 0.4ns.

Here are some links to:
- topology file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NF5EPbM2mnTGilXpOf7pQK5qlelBd8KC
- initial configuration:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kxMOKQcsAEheBCEAbkGcXqfBDwsHKpwr/view?usp=sharing
- log file of second half of Berendsen run:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15TgbOOr6_fb8FkqR-nFHR8j1qbhTNT-Q/view?usp=sharing
- log file of PR run:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CPobb3ddDsd4I6Fce1tEpwHiBd5yq-tE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks! If you need any other files or information, please let me know.

-Wes