[gmx-users] SARS-CoV-2 main protease with ligand from acpype, but converting to vsites?

Erik Marklund erik.marklund at kemi.uu.se
Sat Mar 28 15:14:09 CET 2020

Hi Bjorn (and others interested in virtual sites for non-protein molecules),

We have an article in press where we describe our new tool Mkvsites, which is a great help when you want virtual sites for a new residue, ligand, etc. I will announce the article once it is available, but I might as well provide the tool already now: https://github.com/ErikMarklund/mkvsites

In short: Use topinspect.py to identify any atomtypes and interactions in your itp/top file that need to be added to the force field (not needed for some things, like nucleic acids already present in the force field, but for which no vsite parameters exist). topinspect.py optionally produces an rtp file, which is very helpful because it enables you to use pdb2gmx to place all dummy masses etc at a later stage. Then use Mkvsites.py to generate the required vsite parameters, including angle constraints for -OH groups. Put that in your force field, then prepare your system with pdb2gmx etc like you would for a vanilla protein system.

Look at the examples provided and get in touch if you need help. I am sure there are things we can do to improve the usability, so input is welcome. We have NOT automated the actual modification of force field files, since we have noticed that some of the input we have used for testing need human interpretation (e.g. to decide element type for new atom types). While we could implement some logic for that, it is difficult to foresee all possible flavours of input, and that strategy risk causing silent errors in the simulations.

Kind regards,
Erik
Erik Marklund, PhD, Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Associate Senior Lecturer in Computational Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry – BMC, Uppsala University
+46 (0)18 471 4562
erik.marklund at kemi.uu.se<mailto:erik.marklund at kemi.uu.se>