[gmx-users] Onsager coefficient

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Mar 31 17:03:21 CEST 2020

Den 2020-03-31 kl. 16:01, skrev Sina Omrani:
>   it is Maxwell-Stefan.
>
> I want to calculate diffusion coefficients. from EMD we can calculate the
> MS diffusion coefficient that it is impossible to measure experimentally
> (because it is based on chemical potential gradient that is hard to
> measure) and with the thermodynamic correction factor it could be
> transformed into the Fick diffusion coefficient that is experimentally
> measurable. Although, there are NEMD method for calculating Fick diffusion
> coefficient but it is not prefered for some reasons.

OK, thanks, interesting. This does not look too promising:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%E2%80%93Stefan_diffusion
"A major disadvantage of the Maxwell–Stefan theory is that the diffusion
coefficients, with the exception of the diffusion of dilute gases, do
not correspond to the Fick's diffusion coefficients and are therefore
not tabulated."

Long time ago I published a paper about self-diffusion in alcohol-water
mixtures as a function of concentration (J Chem Phys 119 (2003) p 7308).
We mention "The relation between self diffusion and mutual diffusion is
not straightforward58 and has hitherto only been studied by simulation
for simple Lennard-Jones particles.59". But maybe this is not relevant
at all.