[gmx-users] Need help creating md.mdp for silica(quartz)?

Dallas Warren dallas.warren at monash.edu
Tue May 5 01:13:33 CEST 2020

1/ it means that between the original coordinate file loaded with vmd and
the frame you are looking at there from the trajectory file, those atoms
have moved across the periodic boundary and vmd is still drawing the bond
between them. vmd knows nothing about bonds, it guesses where the bonds
should be and maintains them between those atoms when viewing a trajectory.
If looking to make a nice looking animation simply using gmx trjconv to
move the layer into the center of the box. Otherwise use a viewing method
in vmd that doesn't draw the bonds i.e. VDW, Points or one that redraws
each frame i.e. DynamicBonds

2/ where the simulation box is located is entirely arbitrary. So if it is
not in the location you want then use gmx trjconv to move it to where you
want it to be.

All these things you are seeing here are artifacts of the periodic boundary
condition:
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/current/user-guide/terminology.html#gmx-pbc

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics
Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3052
dallas.warren at monash.edu
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a
nail.