[gmx-developers] Current build system

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Wed Aug 26 13:03:18 CEST 2009

Hi Sander,

ouch! CMakeLists.txt was totallly missing in my base directory.
My stupid mistake. Thanks for pointing me the way to enlightenment.

Carsten

On Aug 26, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Sander Pronk wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Are you sure you're running cmake in the right directory? The last
> error message (the one about CMAKE_VERSION_REQUIRED) suggests
> otherwise, because the CMakeLists.txt in the gromacs root
> prominently has that on its first line.
>
> Anyway, theoretically cmake works reasonably well - in practice the
> resulting binary is slower than it should be, however, due to
> remaining issues with selecting the right kernels. I believe Erik is
> working on it, though.
>
> Sander
>

> On Aug 26, 2009, at 11:21 , Carsten Kutzner wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is the cmake build already supposed to be operational?
>> I noticed that the files needed for autoconf/automake are
>> missing in the repository, however my cmake configuration
>> fails with errors like below.
>> What is the current protocol to build gromacs?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   Carsten
>>

>> CMake Error at gmxlib/CMakeLists.txt:39 (install):
>>    install TARGETS given no ARCHIVE DESTINATION for static library
>> target
>>    "gmx".
>>

>>  CMake Error at mdlib/CMakeLists.txt:12 (install):
>>    install TARGETS given no ARCHIVE DESTINATION for static library
>> target
>>    "md".
>>

>>  CMake Error at kernel/CMakeLists.txt:75 (install):
>>    install TARGETS given no RUNTIME DESTINATION for executable target
>>    "grompp".
>>

>>  CMake Error at tools/CMakeLists.txt:60 (install):
>>    install TARGETS given no RUNTIME DESTINATION for executable target
>>    "do_dssp".
>>

>>  CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
>>    No cmake_minimum_required command is present.  A line of code
>> such as
>>
>>      cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6)
>>
>>    should be added at the top of the file.  The version specified
>> may be lower
>>    if you wish to support older CMake versions for this project.
>> For more
>>    information run "cmake --help-policy CMP0000".
>>  This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress
>> it.

Dr. Carsten Kutzner
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Am Fassberg 11, 37077 Goettingen, Germany
Tel. +49-551-2012313, Fax: +49-551-2012302
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/home/grubmueller/ihp/ckutzne