[gmx-developers] template.c does not compile due to types/trx.h

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Aug 27 11:01:57 CEST 2010

On 2010-08-27 10.49, Teemu Murtola wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:05, David van der Spoel<spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>  wrote:
>> the share/template/template.c does not compile in the master branch when I
>> build gromacs in a separate object dir:
>>
>> In file included from ./gromacs/types/trx.h:43,
>>                  from ./gromacs/typedefs.h:52,
>>                  from ./gromacs/futil.h:40,
>>                  from ./gromacs/filenm.h:39,
>>                  from /home/spoel/GG/gromacs/share/template/template.c:32:
>> ./gromacs/types/../vmdio.h:22:28: error: molfile_plugin.h: No such file or
>> directory
>> ./gromacs/types/../vmdio.h:23:26: error: types/simple.h: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> The source code refers to include files in
>> <gromacs/futil.h>
>> etc.,
>> but the real problem I guess is that types/trx.h includes
>> #include "../molfile_plugin.h"
>> #include "../vmdio.h"
>>
>> That seems like a bad idea. I disabled building the template for now.
>
> Which system this is on? For me, the template compiles just fine with
> an out-of-tree build with the master branch just before your commit.
> Those #include "../file.h" are used in several headers under
> include/types, and that's about the only way of making them work
> irrespective of preprocessor include flags. And it seems that they
> also include the correct file in your case, but that files included
> from those ones don't work for some reason.
>
> Teemu
This is on both mac and linux.

The problem is I guess that this works only once you have installed the
header files previously, and I am compiling to empty destination. So if
you run configure --prefix=/tmp/test I suspect that you would get this
problem as well. If this is the case then you are always compiling with
header files that possibly could be old.

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.