[gmx-developers] some notes on using redmine

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Jan 7 00:56:56 CET 2011

On 7/01/2011 7:13 AM, Rossen Apostolov wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> A few quick notes on using redmine. Have a look at the wiki at
> http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/Guide provides
> information about the general usage.

Excellent.

One feature that I think we should be using is the ability of Redmine to
cross-reference repository commits with issue tracking.
http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/RedmineSettings#Referencing-issues-in-commit-messages
observes that a commit message of "|This commit refs #1, #2 and fixes
#3|" will create the appropriate URL cross-references in those three
issues. Conversely, in Redmine discussion, the use of "commit:c6f4d0fd"
displays a link to that commit with text "c6f4d0fd". This should enhance
the usability of Redmine as a discussion forum, because you can get
access to source code contents and git diffs in the browser at the click
of a link.

I think it would be overkill to require the creation or linking of a
Redmine issue for every commit, however. Thoughts?