[gmx-developers] some notes on using redmine

Teemu Murtola teemu.murtola at cbr.su.se
Sat Jan 8 20:36:25 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 01:56, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> I think it would be overkill to require the creation or linking of a Redmine
> issue for every commit, however. Thoughts?

Requiring it could indeed be overkill, but we could try to make it a
strong recommendation.  This way, Redmine would get much more easily
integrated into the workflow, because people would be forced to think
about the issue at least a bit.  Adding something like IssueID #NNN at
the end of a commit message should be enough (or perhaps configuring
Redmine such that it would link commits that start with [#NNN]) in
cases where the issue number does not naturally fit into the commit
message.

Another thing that would be worth thinking about is the formatting of
the commit messages.  Many git tools, and it seems that Redmine as
well, work somewhat better if commit messages are formatted according
to the guidelines put forth in many git tutorials: first a max
~50-char line with a short summary, then an empty line, and then a
more detailed description of the commit (many places suggest max 72
character lines, and, e.g., gitk works badly with long lines).  If
nothing else, this would make the activity page in Redmine more
readable.

Teemu