[gmx-developers] FW: Gromacs quotes

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Dec 15 01:57:40 CET 2012

On 12/14/12 4:27 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2012-12-14 21:55, Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) wrote:
>> FYI, from my student.  We also have to turn these off in F at H to avoid
>> complaints.
>>
>> Might it be time to retire the quotes? Do we feel it has that much of a
>> purpose?  I wonder if it's causing more trouble than it's worth . . .
>>
> Maybe replace them with ads for the NRA?
> Sorry, also bad taste.
>
> We had discussion on it previously and the naysayers were less vocal than the
> proponents at the time.
>
> Does it have a purpose? It can put a smile on someone's face.
>
> Otherwise,
> setenv GMX_NO_QUOTES 1
> Or maybe we can make it a cmake option ;).

I don't feel particularly strongly either way, but the complaint related to some
inappropriate content is well taken.  I think there are some quotes that
probably don't belong.  I'm not easily offended, but maybe we should make an
effort to eliminate any quotes that can be seen as objectionable, as there are a
few that may be seen as such due to foul language or other reasons.

Disabling the feature with an environment variable is fine (and documented!) but
I think, at the very least, we should clean up the database, since the onus is
on us, the developers, to produce a user-friendly product.  I'm a big fan of
witty quips, though :)  Maybe the database should simply focus on humorous
quotes from the developers and other influential people?  Just a thought.

"If I had a dime for every time I posted a link to the wiki..." (J. Lemkul)  ;)

Research Scientist
Department of Biochemistry
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA