[gmx-developers] FW: Gromacs quotes

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:46:25 CET 2012

On 19/12/12 18:32, Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) wrote:
> MS, you might have missed some context here.  The Newtown, CT shooting was
> the 2nd worst mass shooting incident in the US.  Justin was referring in
> addition to the worst mass shooting incident, which happened at Virginia
> Tech in 2007, a few hundred feet from his lab.

Thanks (I was indeed a bit confused). Still, there is still the option
to *turn the quotes off*, something that seems quite overlooked.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I steered the conversation -it's that I'm very
itchy on the subject of free speech, perhaps because in Europe free
speech is still not as much a given as it is in US, even if of course
we're *almost* there.

That said, let's see if I can be less grumpy and more constructive: I
wonder if a good compromise can be to have an "offensive" flag attached
to quotes developers feel problematic, a bit like the fortune program (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_%28Unix%29 ) so that people can
decide to have full quotes / "safe" quotes / no quotes, with the safe
setting being the default.

--
Massimo Sandal, Ph.D.
http://devicerandom.org