[gmx-developers] Windows64 builds and gsl linking

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Wed Feb 22 13:22:36 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Mirco Wahab <
mirco.wahab at chemie.tu-freiberg.de> wrote:

> Hi Roland,
>
> Am 21.02.2012 20:09, schrieb Roland Schulz:
> > I think you might be the first who compiled Gromacs with GSL on Windows.
> > Could you upload your fix to gerrit.gromacs.org <
> http://gerrit.gromacs.org>?
>
> The problem here is: I'm not a gmx-developer and probably would break
> something through git (I don't work with git and have no experience
> here). Therefore, I won't commit anything too fast.

The nice thing about gerrit is that you really can't break anything. You
can submit a change for review but a 2 gmx core developer need to approve
the change before it is being included in the official source repository.
Also it lets us easily comment on code changes. Additional it tracks author
ship so that one can later see that you helped with that change.

We have quite a bit information on Git and Gerrit:
http://www.gromacs.org/Developer_Zone/Git/Git_Tutorial and
http://www.gromacs.org/Developer_Zone/Git/Gerrit . Feel free to ask if
something isn't clear.

> Instead, I tried to collect some usable instructions for
> building the 6.4 dev-version (including a patch file).

The patch file at
http://spule.compch.tu-freiberg.de/~wahab/gromacs/Build/src.diff.txt seems
not to be for the 4.6 version. It patches refdata.cpp which is only in the
master branch. The master branch is going to be 5.0. So if you want 4.6,
you need to get the release-4-6 branch.

> I also provide a fully working (at least here) binary
> Gromacs-4.6-dev package w/install instructions for
> people interested to test this.
>
> For now, I'll put patches, instructions and binaries on
> a web site (http://spule.compch.tu-freiberg.de/~wahab/gromacs/).

It would be great if you could put it at
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Installation_Instructions/Windows when
it is done.

Roland

> I would be grateful for any information regarding these builds.
> Most likely I'll switch to git eventually and take a closer look
> on how to take part in the gromacs-development process
> (if possible at all).
>
> Thanks & regards
>
> M.

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309