[gmx-developers] Minor CMAKE/fftw3 problem VS2010 x64 on release-4-6 branch

Christoph Junghans junghans at votca.org
Wed Feb 22 16:50:34 CET 2012

Am 22. Februar 2012 08:10 schrieb Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se>:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Mirco for the report!
>
> I'd add a few more issues observed on Linux.
>
> i) It seems that it is not possible to manually set the CMake cache
> variable for the fttw include dir and library path anymore.
Which ones did you try?

FFTW_INCLUDE_DIR and FFTW_LIBRARY are the ones to use.

> ii) I always see the following messages whenever CMake is rerun:
> -- checking for module 'fftw3f'
> --   package 'fftw3f' not found,
> but at the same time the detection seems to work and compiling/linking
> succeeds.
This is the output of pkg-config (that's why it says package not
library), we can disable that, but than is is not clear if pkg-config
was used to find fftw or the standard detection ( from /usr/lib).

> iii) It is indeed quite confusing that there is a suffixed and
> non-suffixed version of the fftw variables defined in CMake (even
> though the ones without a suffix are advanced). I think it would be
> enough to have one set of include/lib path variables.
Like I said in the other answer we should make the suffixed variables internal.

Christoph

> We should probably revisit the fftw detection and polish the
> FindFFW.cmake module a bit. Note that I haven't looked at the module
> in detail so the above are just general remarks.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Szilárd
>

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Mirco Wahab
> <mirco.wahab at chemie.tu-freiberg.de> wrote:
>> After reading Rolands hint regarding master branch (5.0) and
>> release-4-6 branch I created the latter and run into the
>> following problem.
>>
>> After selecting the tool chain (cmake 2.8 windows), there
>> are now *four entries* corresponding to fftw3 linkage:
>>
>> FFTW_INCLUDE_DIR:STRING=D:/Lib64/include
>> FFTW_LIBRARY:STRING=D:/Lib64/lib/libfftwf-3.3.lib
>>
>> FFTW_INCLUDE_DIR_fftw3f:PATH=D:/Lib64/include
>> FFTW_LIBRARY_fftw3f:FILEPATH=D:/Lib64/lib/libfftwf-3.3.lib
>>
>> Regardless what combination of correct filled and empty
>> filled fields I tried, there is no link dependency created
>> (in the .sln) for md.lib.
>>
>> I had to manually update the "Additional Dependencies"
>> and "Additional Library Directories" - which
>> eventually lead to a successful result.
>>
>> I'm not sure if md.lib is supposed to link with
>> fftw3(f)? I'd guess (according to my result) yes.
>>
>> The created 4.6-preview mdrun seems to run ok
>> (and tests ok).
>>
>> Thanks & regards
>>
>> M.

Christoph Junghans