[gmx-developers] Minor CMAKE/fftw3 problem VS2010 x64 on release-4-6 branch

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Thu Feb 23 15:01:50 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Christoph Junghans <junghans at votca.org> wrote:
> Am 22. Februar 2012 08:10 schrieb Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks Mirco for the report!
>>
>> I'd add a few more issues observed on Linux.
>>
>> i) It seems that it is not possible to manually set the CMake cache
>> variable for the fttw include dir and library path anymore.
> Which ones did you try?
>
> FFTW_INCLUDE_DIR and FFTW_LIBRARY are the ones to use.

Indeed, that works.

>> ii) I always see the following messages whenever CMake is rerun:
>> -- checking for module 'fftw3f'
>> --   package 'fftw3f' not found,
>> but at the same time the detection seems to work and compiling/linking
>> succeeds.
> This is the output of pkg-config (that's why it says package not
> library), we can disable that, but than is is not clear if pkg-config
> was used to find fftw or the standard detection ( from /usr/lib).

Is it relevant for the user what way fftw was detected? I'm not sure it is...

>> iii) It is indeed quite confusing that there is a suffixed and
>> non-suffixed version of the fftw variables defined in CMake (even
>> though the ones without a suffix are advanced). I think it would be
>> enough to have one set of include/lib path variables.
> Like I said in the other answer we should make the suffixed variables internal.

That would certainly help.

At the same time, changing certain options with an already generated
cache will not always work (e.g. GMX_OPENMP). We should probably
review and where it's important make it work.

--
Szilárd